This photograph of what was the Drawing Room at Soho House was taken in 1927 by Birmingham photographers Lewis and Randall. By this date the house was a hotel and this was used as the Dining Room.
The chimneypiece is original and was later removed. A reproduction was made during the restoration of Soho House as a museum which incorporates a piece of the original found in the garden in the 1950s. The arched alcove was added as part of the major works carried out in the 1860s before the Reverend Boyle of St Michael's Church moved in. It was removed and reinstated as a cupboard as part of the museum restoration. The elegant arch above the bay window was removed when the bay was demolished to put an oil tank in the cellar in the mid twentieth century. The bow was rebuilt at that time but the arch was not reinstated until the museum restoration in the late 1990s.
Copyright information: Copyrights
to all resources are retained by the individual rights
holders. They have kindly made their collections available
for non-commercial private study & educational use.
Re-distribution of resources in any form is only permitted
subject to strict adherence to the guidelines in the Full
Terms and Conditions statement.